Powered By Blogger

Pages

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Australia

For two days in a row this week, my horoscope has suggested I write. I experienced giddiness each time I read these posts by the way! Yesterday after reading the second post I thought to myself, well, the planets have aligned and spoken-so let it be done. I asked Cullen what subject I should write about and he enthusiastically suggested Australia. So here goes...

Ahhh...Australia, "the Land Down Under". A continent allowed to develop away from the rest of the world, laden with a wealth of unique treasures. When I think of Australia, here are many of the things that come to mind. The Sydney Opera House, Aborigines, Kangaroos, Dingoes, Budgies (parakeets), Great White Sharks, the Great Barrier Reef, the deadly box jellyfish, Crocodile Dundee, Men at Work and their popular single "Down Under", Nicole Kidman, Keith Urban, Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackson, and the late Heath Ledger. It's also a former English penal colony(so I've heard) and last but not least, pictures of Australia almost always depict that great big red rock sitting out in the middle of nowhere.

For many folks there is a keen fascination with this country because of its unique wildlife, abundant flora, and varying cultures. Truthfully-there are some countries I'd like to visit for the visual and gustatory (yes, I'm using new words today-woohoo!) pleasures, but those pleasures would be secondary when I consider Australia.

While Australia is brimming over with olfactory, gustatory (btw, it means dealing with the sense of taste), and visual delights, I think the most amazing part of visiting there would be auditory. I could sit around for hours and just listen to the Aussies talk. In all honesty, the Aussies would likely laugh as much at my pronounced Southern accent as I would laugh at their accent. A laughter born not from humor but at noting the differences in how we've bent and twisted the same language.

Few countries would entice a visit from me for this reason, but Australia is definitely at the top of my list. I can just see it now in my mind's eye; we would arrive in the airport at Sydney and I'd be so distracted by the swarms of Australian accent that it would probably take a push from my husband for me to recall that I actually have to leave the airport. I would come home from my trip many days later with sore cheek muscles from having grinned ear to ear the entire time. I don't care for general bodyaches but I think a sore face from having smiled during the entire trip would be proof positive that the vacation was a success!

1 comment:

  1. Get me enough predisone and I'am going with you. Several weeks ago, I recieved predisone for possible unknown infections maybe in my chest. For six days I flited aroundlike a young girl. I even invited several people to go dancing. I finished the predisone and went back to my non dancing self. I can understand how athletes get hooked.Iwant to go somewhere.

    ReplyDelete